Monday, November 23, 2009

I've said it before.... I hate eBay

I hate eBay, because I love it.  :(

There I was, just browsing around, when I found the cutest little antique watercolor box.  It has eight little pans (half pans, I think), and five little porcelain or ceramic mixing bowls in a 7x3" metal box.  It's old, and beat-up, but I think it has class.  I put it on "watch" and thought about it all night.

Today, I decided I'd better buy it.  I was a Buy It Now auction, and I was afraid someone would snap it up while I was thinking about it.  So...yep, it's mine now.  I'll try to take some pictures when it arrives.

But...as usual, I can't just buy one thing on eBay and be happy.  Oh, no...uh-huh.  As long as they know I have cash in my pocket, they just keep serving up stuff I can't live without.  So not 15 minutes after I bought the little box, I went back to the list of new items and found...a much larger antique water color box.  Yep.  Tin, with 26 (one is missing) little ceramic or porcelain (although...to be honest, in the picture they look like plastic) half pans, and a white tin mixing palette.  Of course...I had to bid.  Despite the fact it's in the UK and the shipping will be exhorbitant.

I love these little boxes.  And I do believe that cool art stuff is more inspiring then 'make it do' stuff.  Yes; I could use a white china plate from a thrift store to mix my paints.  But...where's the fun in that?  Yes; I do have a great palette system with my little metal gem trays -they work perfectly.  But, the sight of all those paints lined up in little open pans just waiting for anyone to dip in a damp brush wakes up my muse better than coffee and pancakes.  So...I'm indulging her.  I want to paint; I want to paint a lot.  So if this is part of the cost of motivating myself and the ticket to suddenly seeing "ART" in the mundane dust of my everyday life, so be it.

I probably won't win the second box.  But, I had to try. If I do, I'm not sure how to go about refurbishing it, or even if I should.  Maybe I'll just hang it on the wall for a while. :)

No comments:

.