Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I've been drawing and writing in the little "Lucky Journal" with the Lotka paper from Nepal.



Overall, it's a beautiful little thing. I love the texture of the binding and the little elephant button. It has a pencil loop too -always a good thing for absent-minded me. :) The oatmeal-colored paper is very thin, and apparently doesn't have any sizing in it.

I started with a simple sketch, but then decided I didn't like it. Erasing was bad news -even my softest gray kneaded eraser scuffed the paper's surface. I made a tiny hole when I made the second drawing.

My first attempt to paint in it -even using an almost completely dry brush was a mistake. The paint feathered and made a real mess.

Next, I tried the Coloursoft pencils, and that worked just great. I got nice, rich tones and am happy as clams with the results.

Overall, the journal is intended for writing. I haven't tried any ink yet, but I'm guessing that a plain ball point pen will work fine. I intend to try a Micron pen later this evening, and see how that turns out.

The journal was easily worth the $12.00 or so, and I intend to buy more of them when I use this one up. The tactile experience alone spoils me and makes me want to hurry up and write in it some more...it's just a lovely, sensual texture that draws me and holds my attention.

No comments:

.